An
old post I made in my Friendster blog which I thought is worth a space here
too. Reminiscing time...
Having my insomnia again, I decided to just prepare breakfast instead of
counting more sheep. It's getting cold here, and every now and then, I get a
tingling sensation running through my spine despite wearing socks and having a
thick blanket over me. It's winter time, so they say...weird though because I
don't see any snow (I always had the perception that winter means snow). Oh
well, now I know that winter can be without snow. The cold weather made me
think of hot soup or congee, so I decided to buy the ingredients. When I went
out of the building, I saw mostly students waiting for their buses. I again
felt the cold wind brushing my face and I shivered...brrrrr...good thing I was
wearing a jacket because it felt like I was opening the door of a refrigerator.
I checked on the nearby convenience store (the very first store I entered when
I arrived here in the city of gold) and it was still closed so I decided to
check on the other shops. As I was walking through the streets of Al Rigga (one
of the streets in Deira, Dubai), it made me realize a lot of things. How time
flies! Before, I was still contemplating if I should really go or not...then
there I was finally walking through the streets of my once-planned destination.
Only a few were walking, I realized at this hour, compared to late afternoons
and nights when the stretch of restaurants going to Al Ghurair Mall become
swamped with people from all walks of life...dining...having
fun...chit-chatting with their friends. It felt weird actually to see the
street so empty and lonely.
I've come across some people who were hurriedly walking...probably rushing to
get to work. I had a ready smile, but sadly no one to smile to. All seemed to
be too busy to even look at the stranger passing by. Then I saw a man sleeping
on one of the benches seemingly unaffected by the cold weather. I had to say a
little prayer that I am still so blessed for having a roof under my head while
a lot would just sleep on the streets. I passed by some construction workers
busily doing their work for the metro rail, which I hoped would ease the
traffic. As the day moves on, those same men would be sweating profusely as
they go about their work, not to mention being immersed in the dust and dirt
that goes with their work. And so, I again said a silent prayer thanking God
and telling myself how lucky I am not doing that kind of job for my existence.
Realizing that the shops were still closed, I walked back again to where our
flat was. I passed by some stray cats and then I remembered my dogs. If I were
living in my own place, I would most probably take those orphaned cats to my
house so that they wouldn't have to suffer the heat, cold, dust, and hunger
they have to deal with every day. Then I saw some birds, which is quite a rare
occasion, flying from one building to another, as if they have a choice when
there is not a tree in sight. Then I saw some people getting their shops
ready...all busily cleaning racks and display counters. What a life we all must
live! Then I felt glad that I got to enjoy the morning walk as I stretched my
muscles in the way I wanted and not out of occupation.
Finally, I arrived at my destination - back to our building. I decided to once
again check out the convenience store, and lucky me, it was already open. I
smiled at myself and mumbled good morning to everybody as if they could hear
me. I told myself that this would be a lucky day for me and I am starting it with
a thankful heart for all the blessings I have. So, I bought all the necessary
ingredients and walked back happily towards our flat.
I was already in the middle of cooking the porridge when we ran out of gas. Oh
well! But since I felt lucky (and of course being a true blue ingenious Pinoy),
I remembered that we have a rice cooker and so I used it to finish cooking the
porridge. See! there's always a solution for everything.
Sometimes you only have to see the imperfections around you to realize how
blessed you really are. It's just a matter of thinking. When you're thinking
positively, things will always look bright...and you will always feel lucky,
happy, and blessed! Maybe I should do this more often...I think tomorrow I will
walk through the other side of the street and see what else is there.
Love
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Walking Through the Streets of Al Rigga
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment