Love

Love

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Of Weird Dreams and Stuff

Night shifts can take its toll especially if you only slept 2 to 3 hours during the daytime. Halfway through my shift, I was already so sleepy that I felt I needed toothpicks to keep my eyes open (of course you know what I mean). Reading through numerous websites did not help at all...it made me all the more want to visit dreamland. I played my current favorite game (thanks to Kyle) Chuzzle to keep me awake, but that didn't help also since my eyes seem to have problems distinguishing the colors of the little furballs. Anyway, when all else fails, my last resort was to buzz my friend-officemate and hope he is not too busy to entertain my uhmmm weird thoughts.

I asked him about what he thinks about dreams. Of course he gave me his usual comical point of view and asked afterwards what my dreams were. I told him I have had dreams with the same story-lines, almost always the same cast (ahem, like a movie), and sometimes, I dream of it successively but with different endings at times. Sometimes, it's like two movies (Hollywood or not) merged into one.

I told him about one of my all-time favorite dream - the giant blood-sucking turtle (yes, you read it right). The turtle came from nowhere and started to suck the blood out of my neighbors causing havoc in our community. It sucked every drop of blood that it left its victim looking like a dried piece of tree branch. Men, women and children ran to and from all directions scrambling to find a place where they can be safe. The turtle would grow a bit bigger each time it finished sucking blood and so with each victim, the turtle grew enormously in size. I was one of the many running frantically for dear life. Instinctively, I knew I had special powers, but for some weird reasons, I was concentrating more on my running and evading skills rather than turning myself into the superhero I was (hey, it's just a dream just to remind you again). I ran past familiar faces as I hurried to reach the roof of our house, and to my surprise, saw zombies chasing after me as well! I realized then that the dead victims all became zombies and they were as hungry as the vampire-turtle. And so I ran for dear life, mercy me!

Reaching the rooftop took almost an eternity though I cannot figure it out whether our house had turned into a mansion or a five-storey building. In real life, it was a no mean feat to reach the rooftop, but anyway, it's a dream after all so let it be. As I clambered towards the rooftop, I was aware that the monster turtle and the zombies were just a few meters away from me and if I don't act fast, the zombies will be tearing my limbs apart while the turtle sucks my type-O blood. Only then did I remember using my uhmm super powers. There was no magical stone that I needed to swallow, not even a few magical words to chant, but in an instant, I transformed into a superhero just when a zombie was almost ready to take the life out of me. And so punches were flying everywhere, a kick here and there, whooosh....whisssh...and yes, the flying stuff too! Wow, it was a great feeling being able to fly and fighting the bad guys (dead or not). The rest of the story ends differently though...sometimes, it ends with me throwing the giant turtle to outer space. In the other versions, I singlehandedly bring the pacific ocean to our dead community and flush all the zombies away. Other times, I just fly away to another place and fight criminals elsewhere. Then I wake up. Sometimes feeling tired from fighting the villains.

I asked him if dreams were products of our subconscious mind. He said he can't be sure, but told me it's good to have those kinds of dreams (especially the superhero and flying part). He suggested that I think about it before going to sleep and for sure I will dream about it again. And so when I came home I decided to think of something good to dream about (naturally it's not the turtle). Alas, before I even started to think of something good to dream about, I already dozed off to dreamland.

Lately, though, I've been dreaming of the same dream (different from the turtle, thank you)...weird though because it has never reached any distinct ending. It just starts with a few scenes (like a foreplay if you must) and then dissolve in oblivion. I wanted to know the entire story since I ain't playing a superhero or flying girl - it's just a pleasant dream to dream about(which might be interesting if it becomes a reality too). Well anyway, I ain't telling it here hehehe....let it just stay in my dreams!

No comments: